Monday, August 28, 2006

A day at the beach

I went to the beach in Fulong this weekend over on the East coast. It was a good time. We tried to sneak onto this beach that you have to pay to go on, but of course they spotted us. A group of foreigners walking up onto the beach out of the water in normal street clothes stand out just a little bit here. So we had to pay the fee (which was only like $2US) to stay. Later on we realized there's a free beach just a little bit further down from where we were. The beach is a little funny here because a lot of people try to stay out of the sun. They have tents and umbrellas set up all over the place. They have a rope with bouys that you aren't allowed to swim outside of, but it's only about 20 yards from shore and the water is still only like waist deep. So we ignored it and they were blowing whistles at it, they finally had a lifegaurd try to intercept us, so we swam underwater. He finally stopped us and we just pointed to where people were surfing and he let us go. I think there's a lot of people here that can't really swim and they were worried we'd drown or something. Anyway, me and one of the girls who went rented surfboards for a little bit at the end of the day. It was so much fun. The waves were pretty small but it was perfect for learning. She had surfed a few times before and the guy at the rental tent showed me real quick what to do. I actually managed to fully stand up and ride 4 waves all the way in, I even managed to steer once to avoid hitting another guy surfing. I can totally see how people get addicted to surfing. I'm looking forward to the next time I get to do it, hopefully for a full day.
Anyway, another week of work has started and I have to get my stuff together for class.

No comments: