Wednesday, September 28, 2005

busted

I made it for quite a while here in California, but my luck finally ran out today. I was heading out of town after getting out of work early and flew past a CHP truck inspection. There weren't many trucks and one of the officers was standing out in the road in the opposite lane and watched me go flying by. I thought for sure he'd come after me, but he didn't. So I was out taking pictures for a little while and came back about 45 minutes later. I was making sure not to draw any undue attention to myself as I passed the truck inspection, but again there was pretty much nothing going on there and the officer watched me drive by again. I watched in my rear view as he got into his car and caught up to me. At first, I thought I was ok because he pulled up next to me, but then he dropped back and pulled in right behind me and threw the lights on. The CHP come around to the passenger side window rather than the driver's side and so I had to open the door to talk to because the passenger side windows don't go down. So I made up a story about being here on vacation for a few weeks which he for some reason bought even though I couldn't even remember the name of our condo when he asked where I was staying, and my hardhat and work stuff was all on the passenger side seat. I told him I was "visiting" the geothermal project here. He said he had noticed me driving around and in and out of town for the past few weeks and I told him I'd be leaving California in another week or so. I plan to push my luck until I get pulled over again for being in California too long without registering my car here. I figure this wasn't even a warning so I'm ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.