Wednesday, September 14, 2005

September 14

I had a few days off in Portland after leaving the Geysers last week. It was good to have some time off, six weeks straight is a long time without any time off. And two months is a long time to go without seeing your apartment. I made the best of my brief visit and look forward to the next!
I ended up coming back a few days early to the next well in Mammoth because I was led to believe that I'd be getting there after everything was rigged up and just in time to begin logging. As it turns out, we were sort of rigged up and no where near logging. It was nice to get here and have time to adjust to the altitude and sort of adust to my hours, but I don't know if it was worth it. I left Portland to get to Mammoth 9pm on Sunday night. It's supposed to be a 14 hour drive so I figured that if I stopped to take a nap or two I'd get here 1 in the afternoon. I ended up napping along the way for like 2 and a half hours but still made it here by noon. I think I took a pretty scenic route, but since it was dark the whole way I really couldn't say for sure. I plan on going back the same way, and making it a two day trip so I should know for sure who scenic it is then.... whenever that is.
Mammoth managed to get a lot colder over the week I was gone, it's already dropping below freezing overnight. I may need to buy chains to get out of here by the time we're done. But I'm hoping this won't take more than 3 weeks and that I'll have time off afterwards, like a full week maybe.

No comments: