Monday, May 01, 2006

Long nights

I am so not going to miss these long boring nights. It's 1am, I've been at work for an hour and a half right now. They finally started drilling yesterday morning so there is finally some work to be done. Or I thought there would be... we drilled like 50 feet on my shift yesterday. I got to look at 5 samples. That was the highlight of like the past week of work for me. So far tonight, I haven't done anything. They're drilling 6 feet an hour. I don't have anything to do, and I don't just mean as far as work is concerned. I really don't have anything to do right now. I have 3 books with me and I've read 2 of them, the last one is short but it's making me think too much. I've read all the news online and that's getting real old because every night it's the same depressing news. I haven't really been able to sleep much since I came back to work for this job. I'm working the night shift and haven't been able to get into the swing of sleeping during the day. I stopped trying to sleep late after the first day because it was just a waste of time, so now I get up and lift some weights because there isn't anything else to do. I've worked my way through a bunch of movies and I'm starting to ration them because it's looking like I'll be here for another two weeks. Right now two weeks seems like an eternity to me. I want to go home! I am not going to miss this job, one more month and I'll be done for good. I think one of the only reasons I lasted this long was because I wasn't here in Cobb the whole time. Mammoth was a nice place to spend the summer, and in the fall I was only here for a week tops and then got to go home. This winter I've been doing these short jobs in Cobb and it's been nice to go home in between, but if I had to go on any longer I'd go nuts. There just isn't anything to do here. There are some trails to hike on but there isn't any good scenery and honestly I just don't have time to go on long hikes. I get out of work and try to get to sleep around 2pm. That leaves me 2 hours to do anything, and I need to eat "dinner" in that time, so I try not to hike for more than an hour. You can't get far in an hour, I did 3 miles the other day but I felt like I was really hauling ass to get back to my car within an hour. And despite the nice weather it still isn't a very good hike, no rewarding view at the top or anything. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a decent route over in the forest to run a 2 mile loop. I really don't like running on trails though. I miss the route I used to run up in Portland, it had a good mix of hills and flat ground. Maybe I'll move back to Portland when I get back from Taiwan. I really liked it there, I just didn't know anyone because I was hardly ever there for more than a few days. I wish it were closer to the ocean, that's about the only thing about Portland I wish were different.

No comments: