Friday, May 20, 2005

Things Are Winding Down

I'm getting excited about leaving! As it stands right now, this is the last drill bit we'll run. It should be done either tonight or tomorrow. Either way we should be rigging everything down and packing up on Sunday. I'll then be heading down to Vancouver on Monday, not sure yet whether I'll have a ride all the way or if I'll be taking the bus from Pemberton, but I don't care!!!! I'd hitchhike if I had to at this point, just get me the hell out of here! I may spend a day or two in Vancouver before heading back to Portland but that's neither here nor there. I really can't wait to get back to my apartment and cook my own meals, things I actually want to eat. It may be a short lived vacation, unfortunately. They are going to move the drill rig back to one of the wells they drilled last fall to pull a liner out of it and will need H2S monitoring. I'll be the closest Tecton geologist which means I'll probably be back up here after a week off. I've heard estimates on how long that would last ranging from a few days to a few weeks. I wouldn't mind a few weeks because it would mean I'd get paid in July. But I'd also be going crazy again by the end of it. I'm still really hoping I'll be able to go to Cape Cod in July, but I have a feeling I won't know if that's possible until July is here.
Tomorrow, Saturday, is the highlight of my week up here. We get nice steaks for dinner. They also make a nice caesar salad, only thing missing is some beer and a few friends. I have met some nice people up here, frustrating things is that I'll probably not be seeing them after I leave here. They're all Canadians and work on oil rigs. My company doesn't do oil, and this is the only geothermal project in Canada and if it doesn't pan out (and it's not looking good) I doubt I'd ever work on the same rig as them again. Unless I bag my position with Tecton and get a job at a well for some Canadian outfit. I don't see that happening though, I don't think I want to live in Calgary or Edmonton. Although I've heard only good things about Calgary and actually know a few people there.

No comments: